How We Interview Subject Matter Experts
by Susan Varty, Managing Partner
Sometimes, a big part of creating great content is interviewing someone else.
Whether it’s a formal interview for a case study, or speaking with someone to craft an in-depth blog or article, HeadStart offers three interviews per month with the people in your network. They may be a team member, someone on your leadership team, or a customer – anyone with the details so we can write what you need.
Here’s how clients can request a piece with an interview:
- Send us a request email or send your brief through our web portal and let us know an interview is required.
- We will reach out to schedule a recorded call on our conference line or make other tech arrangements with you.
- That’s it! Recording the call helps us capture your exact phrases to craft the content and match the brand tone and style you want to achieve.
- We can then draft the piece itself or provide an outline for approval before we write it out in full.
It is important to note that our turnaround times start after we have the call, not when the piece is requested.
The official rules:
- Copy-as-a-Service includes a 30 minute phone interview with one (1) subject matter expert (SME) per piece up to three (3) pieces per month. Three (3) additional SME interviews are available for an additional flat fee per month, per audience/engagement.
- Calls are recorded on HeadStart’s conference line to capture insights, tone and style, whenever possible.
- Once the interview is scheduled, there is a flat fee charged if the time is rescheduled without 24 hours notice, or if there is a no show (except for illness).
- Turnaround times start after the interview has taken place, not when the piece is requested.
HeadStart has been a lifesaver in several occasions. Especially, when we can’t afford adding content staff resources to our budget.